Tuesday, January 4, 2011

There should be a Beyonce song for all the single parents out there!

Right now I am coming off of a CRAZY day of meetings, emails, phone calls, networking, webinars, negotiations, proposals, and transactions!!! That's just from 9-6! Sun up to sun down I am always full court press working. Whether it be my "mom" hat, "cleaning lady" hat, "personal chef" hat, "chauffeur" hat, "referee" hat, "family therapist" hat, "personal stylist" hat or my most recent "Internet Marketing Expert" hat...I'm always working. At this very moment I have my three year old standing next to me crying because we have no batteries for his flashlight. One second while I diffuse this little situation...(pause).

 (Sigh) I'm back. I tell you what...I really don't know how some women get by all on their own, day in and day out. I.......uh oh.......he's back. (hold again)...

OH the devastation. His blue flash light from Santa is all out of batteries and is literally sobbing. How do I explain to him through his sweet sorrows that I am not interested in driving to Kroger right now to buy AA batteries for his blue flashlight? I wish he understood how ridiculous that would be...but for now his tender three year old heart will have to accept that his flashlight problem will have to be solved another day. Poor baby.

My goodness, I am exhausted. I gained some interesting information today that gave me a new perspective on how I am perceived by others...ENERGETIC. Really??? I feel completely exhausted every second it seems like...but I just have to chalk it up to happiness I guess. So I simply tell them, "I'm happy!" and that usually gives them a chuckle and I'm off to the next thing. I feel like the rabbit in Alice in Wonderland. "I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date!" I am always moving, never stalling, constantly thinking about what I can be doing NEXT. I wonder if this is bad for my blood pressure, brain function, heart rate, or mental health? Plain and simple? What keeps me ticking every second of every day is my love for Christ! I can do all things in Him...I have happiness in my heart. I may be tired but this little light of mine...I'M GONNA LET IT SHINE! So yes...I'm energetic, bubbly, silly and have a big personality. I'm super tired all the time, but I'm just happy too!

The second I wake up, I'm rushing to get myself ready. Then I get the boys up and there are two speeds with them. Slow, and slower. So we are all rushed to eat, dress, brush teeth and load up the "yellow car". Its all very chaotic and slightly neurotic. I'm borderline losing my mind within the first hour of everyday, but the funny thing is, I miss those little monkeys the second I drive away from their school. Huh...(shake my head). Anyway...

I just want to give a shout out to all the single moms out there! Seriously I don't know how they DO IT! Everyday I get the boys up and off to school, I then have a full days work and majority of the time I am the one picking them up as well! This is normally around 6pm, right when dinner is expected. We get in the door and all he** breaks loose amidst my efforts to get dinner on the table. There are backpacks all over the floor, coats thrown down in the kitchen, the boys digging into whatever they can find in the pantry, and I've got 5 things going at once to try to throw a meal together. Meanwhile my phone keeps dinging that emails are coming through and the phone is actually ringing at the same time! Then...they come when I call, we all eat and enjoy the moment of eating, giggling and talking. But then before you know it, we are all off to the next crazy thing. The boys are wrestling and racing, the dog is barking, the TV is too loud and I'm cleaning up dinner and the mess from cooking. All this while I'm still dressed in my work clothes and heels.

Sound fun? Well...I assure you it's not like this every day. Only about 70% of the time do I find myself in this whirlwind of activities in a 12 hour period. I also assure you it's very hard work being all these things at once...but MAN do I love my job. All of my jobs. I love my kids...and I love the responsibility of caring for them. But most of all...I LOVE MY HUSBAND. He will be home soon...and I know without a shadow of a doubt that if I asked him to mop the kitchen floor for me...he would do it if he thought it would make me feel better. He does laundry, he does bath time, he does dishes, HE MADE A MEATLOAF the other night for crying out loud! He is amazing and I am thankful for him. Thankful that he is coming home soon. Thankful that I have him tomorrow when he comes home to us yet again. Thankful that I don't have to go the distance by myself. If I thought that i had to go at this alone every single day, I think I would be admitted to the funny farm in my immediate future.

God bless single parents...God bless my boys....GOD BLESS MY HUSBAND.

No comments:

Post a Comment